Sleep disorders are a major health problem and can have a significant impact on an individual's health, safety and quality of life. That’s why we are introducing a faster, path toward diagnosis and treatment of sleep-related conditions. It’s all thanks to our capacity to admit urgent cases within less than a week of booking.
Treating sleep disorders has never been more exciting
The Sleep Unit team consists of passionate sleep scientists and specialist sleep physicians. They provide diagnostic and treatment services, including overnight sleep studies to investigate and diagnose sleep disorders, including:
- obstructive & central sleep apnoea (snoring)
- periodic limb movement disorder
- chronic fatigue
- excessive daytime sleepiness
- behavioural sleep disorders
- other sleep related disturbances
If you have concerns regarding your sleep quality, a referral from your GP to see one of the sleep specialists at the Victorian Rehabilitation Centre can help.
If you’re a specialist who wishes to admit your patient to our Sleep Unit,
please click ‘Get credentialed now’ to start the credentials process.
Frequently Asked Questions
A sleep study is a non-invasive, overnight test that measures your brain, respiratory and body activity while you sleep. These tests are usually conducted in a specialist sleep lab that is equipped for overnight stays.
An overnight sleep study monitors the activity of the body while you sleep, including:
- Brain wave activity (Electroencephalogram)
- Eye movements (Electrooculogram)
- Muscle tone (Electromyogram)
- Heart activity (Electrocardiogram)
- Respiratory activity/oxygen saturation levels (Oximetry)
- Body/limb movements
- Snoring and visual recordings
Sensors are placed on various parts of the body to measure and record these details.
Once the sleep study has been completed, a sleep scientist will analyse the study data and summarise its findings in a report which will in turn be reviewed by a Sleep Specialist who will consult with you to establish a diagnosis and recommend treatment or management options where appropriate.
We offer the follow overnight sleep tests for patients over the age of 18:
- Diagnostic Sleep Study: overnight test that monitors the respiratory, bodily activity and sleep quality
- CPAP therapy, positional therapy and mandibular advancement splint therapy: provides baseline setting recommendations and evaluates the effectiveness of treatment recommended by your sleep physician
- Multiple Sleep Latency Test (MSLT) and Maintenance of Wakefulness Test (MWT): measure the degree of daytime sleepiness
The Victorian Rehabilitation Centre has agreements with all private health insurance funds as well as:
- Transport Accident Commission (TAC)
- Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA)
- WorkSafe Victoria
You may be required to pay an excess or co-payment depending on your insurance policy. We recommend you contact your individual health fund to confirm your level of cover.
When contacting your health fund, the item number to quote for a sleep study is 12203.
Yes. The Victorian Rehabilitation Centre Sleep Unit welcomes enquiries and offers options for overseas and self-funded patients. We encourage you to contact us on 9501 8865 for a quote.
The testing equipment can easily be disconnected and reconnected by our Sleep Unit staff to allow you to go to the bathroom.
Victorian Rehabilitation Centre accepts referrals from accredited sleep physicians. Please see our “Referral to Sleep Physician” document linked below for more information on how your local GP can refer you to one of our trusted sleep specialists.
You can have a friend or family member stay with you up until it is time for you to go to sleep for the study. Patients who require an overnight carer to stay with them overnight are required to discuss arrangements with our Sleep Unit team on 9501 8865 prior to admission.